God's miraculous directing hand in a South African Prison

God answers prayers in many ways but one powerful means is the way God directs us to the people who need Him the most. I had the fortune to see how God provided miraculous direction through an answered prayer during a mission to a South African prison during a mission trip to Johannesburg. 
Our mission team had just held a worship service in the recreational yard of a prison in Johannesburg.  There were around 200 inmates who gathered to participate and over half of them responded to the invitation to accept Christ.  It was an awesome time, especially afterward when we broke up in groups and encouraged the men in their walk with Jesus.  As we closed and gathered to leave the prison, one young inmate approached me.  He had a pained look on his face and introduced himself as Viano.  He explained that he had recently been transferred from the juvinile prison and his parents lived in another country in Africa and didn't even know he was in prison.  Viano asked me to help him.  I didn't exactly know what to do.  I only and a minute or so to talk to him as our team was leaving.  I asked Viano if he had made a decision to follow Christ.  He said that he had.  I pointed out the many inmates who were Christians and told Viano that he needed to find a friend or two that he could trust from his fellow believers.   With them, I explained, would he find strength, safety and encouragement.  I prayed with him and then looked for my team who was heading out.  
As I made my way to catch up to my team, another inmate jumped down from a platform in front of me and said he wanted to share very quickly about his time in the prison.  I told him, "please hurry, my team is leaving and I don't want to be left behind in this prison!"  He told me his name was Collin and his countenance was just the opposite of Viano's.  He had a smile from ear to ear and he quickly explained that he had been in this prison for five years but had become a Christian during his time in captivity.  He was dicipled and now is discipling several other inmates himself.  He believed he was exactly where God wanted him to be.  What a contrast between prisoners, Collin and Viano.  
Suddenly it hit me that Collin was just who Viano needed.  I turned around to find Viano to introduce him to Collin but he had left the area.  I explained to Collin about Viano and asked him if he would find him and disciple him.  Viano's reply shocked me.  His smile evaperated and with a serious face  he proclaimed, "I do not hear you speak."  He paused and I wondered what in the world he meant.  Then he added, "I hear God speaking and I must do this".   Praise God!  I said thank you, prayed a quick prayer and ran to my team wondering how all this would turn out but not expecting to ever know the answer.  
The following day our team returned to the prison to minister to a select group of inmates who had signed up for a Master Life discipleship study.  I did not know that we were going to return to the same prison and hadn't considered that I would see Collin again. We walked into the prison, down a long hallway and then were directed to a room that was packed with about 40 inmates, shoulder to shoulder.  They were standing and singing, How Great Thou Art as we walked in.  There on the front row was Collin.  As he sang, he noticed me, smiled and pointed down the row.  Three men over was Viano!  
It wasn't until we had a break that I had a chance to talk to Collin.  He rushed up to me and excitedly said, "pastor, I must tell you what happened.  When you told me that I must find this man and disciple him, I thought that this was not possible.  There are 5,000 inmates in this prison and I don't even know if he is in my section.  But I prayed that God would direct me to him.  This morning when I went to eat breakfast, I noticed a man sitting up against the wall, his head down.  He was very disturbed and I walked up to him and introduced myself and asked if I could help him.  He said his name was Viano.  Viano?  I asked, did you attend the service yesterday in the rec yard?"  
"Yes", he answered. 
"Did you talk to the pastor and are you the one who needs help?"  
"Yes, I believe so," he said. 
"I couldn't believe God had answered my prayer and so quickly", Collin explained, "but he is a big God and I now I realize he can do anything." 
 Out of the thousands, God directed Collin to exactly the one who could help him.  What a miracle.
God does anwer prayers and I would think that He loves to bring us together with those who need Him the most. As I recall God's miracle in a South African prison, I am reminded that I should ask God every day to direct me to the ones who are searching for Him, to those to whom I can help bring closer to God.  And, as Collin, I should be looking for those who need Jesus and be prepared when I meet that someone to do whatever possible to help them to know Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment